$10 Weekly Lunch Challenge


Healthy Grocery List on a Budget - Coach Erica Kelly


Because I had so much success with my $40 Grocery Challenge, I knew that eating healthy on a budget what something people often struggle with. We sometimes have a tendency to equate clean, wholesome foods with dollar signs, but this doesn't always have to be the case!

With ten dollars in my pocket, I went to my neighborhood grocery store with one simple task: buy enough groceries for seven days of healthy lunches. Here were some of the challenges I knew I'd face:

// Challenge #1: Monotony
The easiest route would've been to plan on eating the same exact thing every day (as some 'meal preppers' do) to keep ingredients down and savings up. Back in my P90X3 days, I did this without question as I saw food as a fuel vs. something to enjoy. To keep the mass appeal, I strayed from my typical meal prep habits and aimed for diversity.

// Challenge #2: Dressing
If you follow me on Facebook, you know this girl can dig a mean salad. However, the most costly part of salads are the fancy dressings we learn to love and crave (I'm talking to you, Low-Fat Sesame Ginger). To save money, I was going to have to get creative with how I add a bit of moisture to my meals without breaking the bank.

// Challenge #3: Produce Preservation
The downside to buying fresh produce is that without the proper preparation, you can end up wasting food that doesn't tend to last past a few days. If you're planning on doing several prepped salads, there are certain ingredients you want to hold off on cutting until the day of such as avocado and apples.

Sticking to the $10 wasn't as difficult as I had imagined! There were a few sales going on in the produce section that I took advantage of to get the biggest bang for my buck.

Here's what I ended up with:

Healthy Grocery List on a Budget - Coach Erica Kelly// GROCERY LIST //

(2) Tomatos on the vine - $.76
(1) Hass avocado - $.99
(1) Bunch green leaf lettuce - $.99
(1) Bunch red leaf lettuce - $.99
(1) Cucumber - $.59
(1) Small bag of whole carrots - $.89
(1) Athenos original hummus - $2.00
(1) Basket of white mushrooms - $1.99

Total after tax: $9.48

Booyah! To be honest, I actually first rang out at under $8 and went back for the mushrooms. The avocado was a total splurge but I know how important it is to consume healthy fats; they help curb sugar cravings and keep you fuller longer.

You may be thinking: seven days of salads? What happened to mixing it up? I know. I tried. I had that pack of whole grain pita brea in my basket with the full intention of alternating between sandwich and salad. But to be honest, I couldn't justify the cost of adding grains to my meal plan in replace of a wider variety of add-ons. So I swapped the pita bread out for carrots and mushrooms. To me, it was the smarter choice!

If you are more of a sandwich person, more power to you! Just know that you may have less options for filling it if you truly stick with the $10.

Healthy Grocery List on a Budget - Coach Erica Kelly

Here's what I was able to make:

(2) Green and red leaf salads with tomato, cucumber, 1/2 avocado (olive oil for dressing)
(3) Green and red leaf salads with tomato, white mushroom (1 TBSP hummus for dressing)
(2) Green and red leaf salads with white mushroom, carrot (1 TBSP hummus for dressing)

The BEST part about this challenge was that I was able to have enough leftovers for snacks as well. Mixed veggies with hummus are on the snack menu!

Think you'd be able to take on the challenge? Post in the comments below and share pics of your grocery bounty on my Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment